UPDATE: This position has now been filled! Thanks for your interest!
Jack or Jill Of All Trades / Office Manager
posted: July 28, 2016
Are you looking to gain experience and make connections in a growing tech company? Just as comfortable handling basic bookkeeping as you are putting on an event for the team, proving you paid attention in stats class with some data analysis, or rolling up your sleeves to lend a hand anywhere you can? Tech savvy and incredibly detail oriented? If yes, read on!
Our team is growing, and we need a Jack or Jill of all trades to join us as our office manager to keep all of the pieces organized and working smoothly. That’s where you come in.
We are seeking someone who is tech savvy, extremely detail oriented, great with numbers and data, and who enjoys a dynamic and changing environment. Organized is your middle name. Most likely, you’re a recent university grad eager to start contributing to a team wherever you can.
This role is all about keeping everything running smoothly – from basic bookkeeping to coordinating schedules and webinars, pulling reports and updating slide decks, helping with recruiting and ensuring new members of the team are set up with the right access, and being adaptable and flexible enough to dive in wherever you’re needed to help out. You’ll be reporting directly to the CEO & COO, and will be the first point of contact for high-priority projects and tasks.
The opportunity for growth is tangible – dive into business operations, prove yourself with data analysis, wow the marketing team with your contributions… this is one of the few elusive truly cross-functional roles. If you’re still figuring out how to turn your education into a role with lots of potential in a company like ours, this may just be the perfect fit.
A typical weekly to-do list might include tasks like:
- Finalize payroll, ensuring every decimal is in its place and that the team gets paid accurately and on time
- Assist with onboarding new team members, ensuring they have all of the system logins and info they need to get up and running
- Coordinate an upcoming webinar to be sure that website links are updated and automatic emails are setup to remind attendees ahead of time
- Dive into excel to pull together some reports, putting your data analysis skills into action
- Spend a morning helping out with customers (like every member of our team does!) to get to know our customers and our system
- Assist the team with administrative support as requested – from errands to recruiting, a Friday beer run, drafting a newsletter, handling some social media, or coordinating schedules and travel. Each day will look a little different.
Ultimately, you’ll be a jack/jill-of-all-trades helping to support our fantastic team of 22 or so. You’re flexible, reliable, and enjoy the challenges of supporting a diverse and growing team.
Here are a few hints that you might be the person we’re looking for:
- You consider yourself very tech savvy. You can easily list off a pile of software applications that you regularly use to make your life better, and you’re just as comfortable diving into Excel as you are posting to twitter, using Trello (or other tools of your choice) to keep yourself organized, or planning a new event with Picatic handling registrations.
- You are eager to grow and learn. This may not be your final career goal, but you are excited to get a foot in the door and be surrounded by an amazing team working toward a common goal in a highly engaging environment.
- You consider yourself at least a bit of a data & numbers geek. We need to log expenses to get things off to the accountant and run reports that help drive the direction of the business, so a love for analysis is key.
- Working in business is your dream. You’ve got a business degree under your belt, and need an in to show what you’re made of.
- Organized with attention to detail doesn’t even begin to describe you. You’ll have a lot of responsibility and also autonomy – no one will be looking over your shoulder to be sure you’ve got it right! A keen eye for detail is key in everything you do – quality over quantity is the name of the game.
- You don’t just wield a pen – you write with it, too. You’ve got exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and can just as easily hop on a call with a VIP client as you can help out the team by drafting a blog post.
- You are eager and a go-getter, and work well with some ambiguity. This isn’t a position for someone who needs a lot of direction, or ever says “that’s not my job”. You’re excited to roll up your sleeves and dive in!
Are you the perfect fit? We move fast!
We are looking to bring someone on as soon as possible.
Here’s what we need from you:
- Your can’t-live-without tech apps. We want to know what 3 tech tools you use to to simplify your life and make things run smoothly. What apps do you use (and why)?
- A snapshot of your writing. Share an example of something you’ve written – a blog post, a newsletter, even an email to a customer. Show off your writing skills!
We are looking to fill this role FAST. If you’re reading this post, the position is still available – but not for long. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Thinkific is a rapidly growing tech startup in Vancouver, and we’re making it easy to teach and build businesses online.
Our all-in-one platform helps independent experts, authors, speakers, coaches, and entrepreneurs around the globe create, market, and sell their own online courses. We currently power thousands of online courses and serve millions of students globally.