Group discussion is an important part of the learning process for students. It helps them to learn how to communicate effectively with others, and to think critically about different topics. In addition, group discussion can also be a great way to build an online community.
In this article, we will discuss why group discussion is so beneficial and suggest some easy topics for group discussion that can help you build a strong online community!
Skip ahead here:
- Benefits of Group Discussion in Online Courses & Communities
- Easy Topics for Group Discussion
- Topics To Avoid
- How to Have a Successful Group Discussion
There are many benefits to incorporating group discussion into your online community. For one, it can help to promote critical thinking and analysis among members. It can also be a great way to get different perspectives on controversial topics and to develop a deeper understanding of the issues at hand. Additionally, group discussion can help build bonds between members and create a sense of community and belonging.
If you are looking for some easy topics for group discussion, here are a few ideas to get you started:
Favorite Online Resources
The first topic on our list is “What are your favorite online resources?”. This is a great question to get people talking about the different websites and tools that they use on a daily basis. It can also be a great way to find new resources that people may not be aware of. It’s an easy conversation started that can lead to more in-depth topics along the way.
Thoughts On The Internet
If you’re looking for a topic that will get people thinking, then you might want to try “What are your thoughts on the current state of the internet?”. This is a great way to get people to share their thoughts and opinions on the current state of the internet, and it can also be a great way to start a discussion about how the internet can be improved.
The Impact of Social Media On Our Lives
This is another great topic that can get people thinking and talking. Social media has had a huge impact on our lives, and it’s definitely something worth discussing. It’s a topic that tends to have differing opinions, so the conversation may include many talking points with opportunities to share real-life examples of the impact. You can ask questions referring to what others may have seen on social media like Facebook groups. These groups often have a growing discussion board that can influence opinions.
The Pros and Cons of Technology
This is a great topic for discussion, particularly because it’s something that we all use on a daily basis. We rely heavily on technology, so understanding how people view it, both the negative and positive sides, can be quite interesting. It’s also a great way to start a conversation about how we can use technology more effectively, and how we can avoid its negative effects.
The Changing Landscape of Education
This is a great topic for discussion, especially if you have an online community full of students or educators. Education is constantly changing, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest trends. This discussion can help people learn about new changes in education, and it can also be a great way to get different perspectives on the issue.
The Importance of Connection
This is a great topic for discussion, particularly in online communities. It can be easy to feel isolated when we’re spending so much time online, so it’s important to find ways to connect with others. This discussion can help people find ways to connect with others, and it can also be a great way to get different perspectives on the issue.
Things That Inspire Your Creativity
This is a great topic for discussion, particularly in online communities. It can be easy to feel uninspired when we’re spending so much time online, so it’s important to find ways to get our creative juices flowing. This discussion can help people find inspiration, and it can also be a great way to get different perspectives on the issue.
Whatever the context, it is helpful to structure the discussions in a way that defines boundaries for the process and provides some degree of closure within the classroom. Be sure the topics you choose are relevant to your community and that they will promote critical thinking and analysis among your members. With some thoughtful planning, you can use group discussion to build a strong online community.
There are a few topics that you may decide to avoid when having a group discussion. These topics can be controversial, and they can often lead to arguments. Some examples of these topics include:
If you’re not sure whether or not a topic is appropriate for discussion, then it’s always best to err on the side of caution.
Now that you know some easy topics for group discussion, it’s time to learn how to have a successful group discussion both online and in person. Here are a few tips:
- Make sure everyone has a chance to speak. One of the most important aspects of a successful group discussion is making sure that everyone has a chance to share their thoughts and opinions. If someone is dominating the conversation, then it’s important to gently remind them to let others speak.
- Encourage people to ask questions. A great way to get people talking is to encourage them to ask questions. This will help to keep the discussion moving, and it will also allow people to share their own thoughts and opinions.
- Keep an open mind. It’s important to remember that not everyone is going to agree with you, and that’s okay! What’s important is that you’re able to listen to other people’s opinions and perspectives, and learn from them.
- Welcome and encourage new speakers. Encourage new speakers by asking them questions and showing interest in what they have to say.
- Make it easy to participate. This means having clear and concise rules and making sure that everyone knows how to use the platform.
- Ask questions that resonate. When you’re planning your group discussion, make sure to choose topics that will resonate with your community to ensure that the discussion will be engaging and beneficial for everyone involved.
- Engage your disengaged members. If you have members who are no longer active in your community, then try to engage them by sending them private messages or starting a discussion on a topic that they’re interested in.
- Create a process to begin the discussion. To ensure that your discussion gets off to a great start, you may want to create an introduction process. This can be as simple as having everyone introduce themselves and their thoughts on the topic. End with a plan. Once the discussion is over, it’s important to have a plan for what’s next. This will help to keep the momentum going and ensure that your community continues to grow.
- Funnel discussions from courses. As a course creator, you can funnel discussions from there to help keep things active with topics that are top of mind.
- Create forums. Discussion forums are essential to online community because they give you a place to offer value, and they generate discussion.
- Be respectful. This should go without saying, but it’s important to be respectful of other people’s opinions and perspectives. If you’re not respectful, then it’s likely that the discussion will quickly degenerate into an argument.
Creating an Engaging Online Community with Group Discussions
Online communities can be a great way to bring your students together in one place where they can discuss course content, apply their learnings, and ask questions. This also helps you get a pulse check on what your audience wants to learn from you.
When building an online community, it’s important to outline community guidelines—helping to improve communication, avoid conflict, and prevent chaos in your community.
Group discussion can be a great way to build an online community if you can get students talking and thinking about different topics. Just remember to keep an open mind, be respectful, and make sure that everyone has a chance to speak. With these tips, you’ll be well on your way to having a successful group discussion.